The objectives of MIST are as follows:
1. To establish a prestigious academic institute for studies in different fields of engineering and technology for military personnel and civil officials/ students of home and abroad at degree and post graduate levels.
2. To organize courses on military science, technology and management in various arenas of interest.
3. To hold examinations and confer certificates of diplomas/degrees, other academic distinctions, to and on persons who have persuaded a course of study and have passed examinations conducted by the institute.
4. To confer research degrees, award fellowship, scholarship, exhibition, prizes, medals and honorary degrees to persons who have carried out research works under conditions as prescribed in the MIST regulations.
5. To establish teaching Divisions (Div), Departments (Dept), Centers, Faculties etc and to make necessary arrangements for their maintenance/management/administration.
6. To make provisions for advisory, research and consultation service including supervision, material testing and to enter into suitable agreement with any persons/organizations for this purpose.
7. To co-operate with Universities/ Technical Institutions (both military and civil) including memoranda of understanding at home and abroad, in the manner and purpose as the institute may determine.
8. To do such other acts, related to above-mentioned objectives, as may be required in order to expand the objectives of the institute.